Friday 19 September 2008

Sometimes, it's all about the rhetoric.

Sometimes, it's all about the rhetoric here, in the occasional form of a commentary. That commentary is not considered "news", as I had been informed of quite the opposite, most recently, nor has it ever been. This site incorporates many facets in the form of segments, etc. Sometimes, here at the site, eye openers will be used in the form of comic relief, as well, particularly political comic relief. Hey, they fxxxxd with us enough, no? The main objective here is to look at the big picture. And as far as that bit of people using me (in the form of near brainwashing?) to get the word out that Obama is a Muslim, well, let's just say, I am a lot stronger than that, and am an independent thinker. Why, I didn't even know that that was going on. There is only so much information a human can take in each day, and that is one thing I had not heard of yet. So, suffice it to say, no one used me. Thanxx for the concern??? I don't think it was concern, but, I digress. Again, all of my commentary comes from hours, sometimes years, of research, investigating, and field work, in the form of interviewing and/or questioning people. Some of my sources must remain anonymous. Just remember big picture, big picture, big picture. I mean, you can't really focus on the smaller and most important issues if you are not taking it all in and looking at the overall picture. For example, you can't really have a true picnic if you don't have the grass and blanket to sit on, nor the basket o' food! I just want to get this out there, and set the record straight. And that is my commentary. Good day! -SDRoads



**********
"Sarcasm
Rhetorical use of language which is intended to ridicule. Sarcasm is similar to irony, but is more intense and is negative in its impact, whereas irony is not always intended to be negative:
Elijah was sarcastic to the prophets of Baal:

1 Kings 18.27 About noontime Elijah began mocking them. "You'll have to shout louder," he scoffed, "for surely he is a god! Perhaps he is deep in thought, or he is relieving himself. Or maybe he is away on a trip, or he is asleep and needs to be wakened!" (NLT)

The intended sarcasm will often not be preserved if the original is translated literally. In such cases the translator may need to include some clues, as the NLT translators have done with the words "mocking" and "scoffed", to indicate that something is meant to be sarcastic."

**********
Catholic Coffee Drinkers
Cor ad cor loquitur. Drinking coffee while talking Augustine, Church Fathers, and Chesterton.July 2, 2008
In Defense of Sarcasm
Posted by M. Jordan Lichens under Blogging, Blogroll, Catholic

Myself and many, many of my friends are often called to task for using sarcasm as a means of argument and response in the blogosphere, typically by someone calling it uncharitable and quit ungodly to use a sarcastic tone in response to some of the modern madness that exists on the internet. I suppose that while charity is required of Catholics, I never once found an instance in the Bible or the writings of the Apostolic Fathers where one was chastised for usuing sarcasm. In face, one reading of God’s conversation with Job, the writings of St. Irenaeus, or the Letter to Diognetus to realize that what we call sarcasm is often used as a powerful rhetorical tool to tear down an opponents argument in order to start the conversation on solid ground.

I myself have been told that my sarcasm demonstrates that I don’t take my opponet seriously. I suppose in the case of sedevacantists and Lefebvrites it may be true that I put little stock in their arguments, but on the whole sarcasm is only a rhetorical tool used to point out the strangeness of some arguments. When my friends used to tell me that Catholics believe that the Pope is above sin when he sits in a special chair (a more common statement than I like to admit) I may either refute the statement with careful argument and polite chatter or respond, “Yes, we in the Catholic Church possess a magical chair that does far more than give the power of perfection.” The latter response is shocking and quite sarcastic, but my interlocutor is able to reflect on how strange a statement he truly made and we may start on solid ground to have a real dialog.
**********

rhetoric
5 dictionary results for: rhetoric
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
rhet·o·ric /ˈrɛtərɪk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ret-er-ik] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. (in writing or speech) the undue use of exaggeration or display; bombast.
2. the art or science of all specialized literary uses of language in prose or verse, including the figures of speech.
3. the study of the effective use of language.
4. the ability to use language effectively.
5. the art of prose in general as opposed to verse.
6. the art of making persuasive speeches; oratory.
7. (in classical oratory) the art of influencing the thought and conduct of an audience.
8. (in older use) a work on rhetoric.


Origin: 1300–50; < L rhétorica < Gk rhétorik (téchné) rhetorical (art); r. ME rethorik < ML réthorica, L rhétorica, as above]

--------------------------------
Initial Qoute source: www.geocities.com/bible_translation/glosss.htm
Article source: http://coffeecatholic.wordpress.com/2008/07/02/in-defense-of-sarcasm/
Definition Source: www.Dictionary.com ~ An Ask.com Service

No comments: